Monday, October 28, 2013

ACU's Les Misérables Review

On Sunday, October 20th, I had the pleasure of attending Abilene Christian University Theatre Department's production of Les Misérables. I was blown away. Jean Val Jean's voice was amazing; nothing short of perfect. He had a very impressive tenor voice, but was still able to hit those low notes with such power and passion.
Link 
The overall cast was astounding; the 50 plus cast members made up a powerful ensemble to help tell this story of struggle and grace. There were a few moments that I could not understand the lyrics, but it didn't help that their mics were fading in and out throughout the entire show. Fantine had a strong voice, but I felt that she could have been more powerful during "I Dreamed a Dream". She basically just sat down through the song. I feel that if she was so overcome with emotion, she would be moving a lot more, trying to figure out what to do with her life and how she will provide for Cosette now. At least look up! But that's just my opinion. She did a great job, though and you could understand her very well. Gavrache was so adorable and very enthusiastic, but unfortunately I could barley understand what he was saying. I know that he was probably under the age of ten and you could tell that they worked a lot on the accent, but I think they should have focused on articulation and punctuation. He really did a great job and was the epitome of street rat! He was in everyone's business and weaved his way through the crowds, getting in their way.

I have to say that my favorite character was Éponine. She had a powerful and moving voice. She has always been my favorite character. She's a strong character who gave up her life for the one she loved, even though she knew  he would never love her back. The girl who played Éponine blew me away. You could feel her pain in her songs. She was always in the moment.
Link 

The set and lighting was beautiful, the costumes were good, and the blocking was fluid. Everything flowed so beautifully. The cast and crew did a fantastic job and they should be extremely proud of their production. Congrats to all of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment