Monday, October 14, 2013

Happy Fall!

Fall is probably my favorite season for a lot of reasons. I love the weather! It's chilly enough for sweaters, but you don't turn into a popsicle every time you walk out the door. I love the cool crisp air that blows and rustles through the leaves, causing one or two of them to break off and slowly drift to the ground. I like pumpkins and hay bales, cinnamon and vanilla. I like to decorate for fall. Scarecrows and fall wreaths. I love the fall garlands on the mantle above the fire place.

But my absolute favorite parts of fall are the holidays! Halloween and Thanksgiving.
Halloween is fun because of all the anticipation of that one night where you could dress up and run around with your friends. Eat candy all night while watching scary movies. I love to hear all the kids running and laughing throughout the neighborhoods, without a care in the world.

Then there's Thanksgiving.
Family. Football. And Food. I absolutely love Thanksgiving. I love the smells of Thanksgiving. The turkey that's been cooking for what seems like days, the pumpkin and pecan pies. Mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes. Green beans, corn, stuffing and dressing, gravy. And my personal favorite, homemade rolls! I love Thanksgiving because it is a time of family. We all gather around the fireplace, squish on couches and chairs, lie on the floor. We catch up with one another, sharing new stories as well as the old ones. Mostly the old stories, but with a new twist; something that has been added on since last years telling. Then the moment we've all been waiting for, Nana announces from the kitchen, "Okay everything's ready, let's eat!" And we all go into the crowded kitchen. We huddle around the table, grabbing hands and my dad offers to pray. We are so blessed to be living where we are, and we take it for granted daily. Sure there are some things that we are not happy with, but we are safe and we are together. We are healthy and we are fortunate. We are free to celebrate and pray and worship. We are so blessed.

This coming fall, I am going to enjoy the weather and the fellowship. But I am also going to strive to always be grateful and thank God that I am blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment