Friday, October 11, 2013

Hold On To Your "Glee"


I just watched the latest Glee episode, and I was bawling the entire time. For those of you who don't know, Cory Monteith, who played Finn Hudson, passed away this summer. He was one of the stars of the show and, of course, the teen heartthrob of Glee. Unfortunately, he had a drug problem and it got the better of him. But we shouldn't let that one mistake define who he was. In the show, they had to address the elephant in the room, "Where was Finn?" (WARNING SOME SPOILERS)  They began the episode with "Seasons of Love" from the musical, Rent.  They never answer how Finn had died, but his step-brother, Kurt, said it best, "Everyone wants to talk about how he died too, but who cares? One moment in his whole life- I care more about how he lived."

That is how we should remember everyone who has gone on before us. We should not spend all of our time grieving over the way someone has died. Instead we should be celebrating the life that they had. The memories that they had left behind. We need to hold onto our glee, because that's all we have. Throughout this episode, I noticed a phrase that kept appearing. "I should have..." I should have hugged him more. I should have told him that he was a good person. I should have thanked him. I should have. I wish I had. Why didn't I?

These thoughts always occur after a loved one has passed. So why haven't we learned to hug more, cherish the moment, and say what's really on our mind? We think we think we have all the time in the world, but we are not even promised tomorrow. Principal Sue was talking with Santana when she said that she thought that they [Finn and herself] would be teaching together for 30 years. She was imaging herself always teasing and tormenting him in the future, but now, "it's just so pointless." There is no tomorrow for Finn.

I had a really hard time watching this episode because I knew that all of those tears are real. Those are real people grieving the real death of a real friend. The character of Finn was a symbol for me. He symbolized all of my One Act friends. The glee club is One Act to me. Like the glee club, we are all a family, we lean on each other for support. I'm excited to see them just as much as I am my family (sometimes even more excited). Our best director in the world, Mrs. Mae, always reminds us to "Live in the Present", remember this moment. Don't get too caught up in the future that you forget to treasure this moment, right here, right now. And she couldn't be more right. Finn could have been any one of my friends. And although we wouldn't come together and sing our hearts out in memorial, I believe that we would all join together and sit on that stage that we called our home and we would cry together. We would be there for each other.

I am so thankful that nothing has happened to our family, but there is no promise that tragedy won't strike. So I'm going to learn from Glee. I don't want to end up saying "I should have". I want to say "I'm glad I did." I'm going to hold on to my memories of One Act and keep close to my glee.

My One Act Family. My Glee

No comments:

Post a Comment