Thursday, November 28, 2013

Be Thankful

In the spirit of Thanksgiving, I'd like to take a moment to pause and reflect over my first semester of college. I have so many things that I could be thankful for but I would never be able to list them all. Coming to college, I was introduced to a number of different lifestyles. I love to hear of my fellow students' background stories and hear of where they come from. I believe that is very important to know where you friends are from so you can help them to where they are going.

A few things that come immediately to mind when I think of what I am thankful for are:

1. I am thankful for Abilene Christian University. This school has given me so many wonderful opportunities. It has given me scholarships that allowed me to come here. It has given me chances to meet wonderful new friends. I have been able to broaden my education and try out my different talents. College in general is a great thing, but ACU is probably the best school, (or at least for me!).

2. I am thankful for my family. Immediate and distant. I'm actually closer to some of my like second and third cousins than I am my first cousins. I basically have two other homes in Abilene because of them, which I am very thankful for. I can "cure" my homesickness with one text, "Can I come over and do laundry this afternoon?" Haha, and of course I am thankful for my parents and grandparents, and I guess my brother too.

3. I am thankful for my friends, new and old. One of my biggest fears of college was not being able to make friends in college, but fortunately I have made many new friends. I am thankful for my Fab Five because I know I can always call and talk to them for hours if I ever need too. I'm also thankful for my new friends that I am making. I am thankful that I am making new friendships that will last for years to come.

4. I am thankful for my professors. Each one of my professors are very special to me. They may not be my favorite teacher, or the easiest class, but they all have pushed me to do my best and succeed.

5. I am thankful for my mentors. Whether they are past teachers/directors or old friends, it's nice to know that I have other people who believe in me other than my parents. I know I can always call them with any questions and they will always have my back! They have pushed me to become who I am today.

6. Lastly, I am thankful for theatre. I recently attended ACU's production of Next to Normal and let me just say "WOW!" One of the most powerful shows I have ever seen. I am so thankful for the telling of stories. Theatre is just another way of education, but one a really personal level. I love being transported to another world and following the lives' of each of the characters. I am thankful for people who share the same love that I do for this form of art.

These are just a few things on a very long list that I am not fully aware of. I know I take many things for granted and I'm working on acknowledging my blessings.

So the thing that I am most thankful for is the saving grace of my Lord and Savior. I definitely do not deserve the forgiveness that He has blessed me with.

No comments:

Post a Comment