Wednesday, November 20, 2013

What Purpose?

It seems like everywhere I turn, I am bombarded with the question "What is your purpose?" In one of my classes, we are discussing our calling or our God given "Divine Appointment." Why am I here, what is my purpose?

I've been watching Lost this semester, for the first time! It's really addicting and very confusing. I'm not even going to attempt to explain, you'll just have to watch it for yourself. But while binge watching, I've noticed a theme that has been weaving through out the series. Each character has been wrestling with their own reason for being on the island. "Why am I here, what is my purpose?" The characters struggle with the idea of the plane crashing as "their destiny," "they were supposed to crash there". "So-and-so was supposed to die", that was their purpose.

This semester, I personally was struggling with my major. Business Management? Not the most fun or excited major. And I wasn't completely confident in my choice. I think I chose it because my mom was pushing it and because "Plan A" did not work out for me. So I decided to take a "Discovery" class that tried to help me find my calling. Unfortunately I didn't get much out of it expect for a personality test that way very accurate. Like scary accurate. And a skills test that showed me I wanted to work with people but was not a people person. So basically it told me that I could either be a social worker, a business major, or broadcast journalist. I decided to stick with business and added theatre as a minor. But the whole class was focused around my calling and purpose.

And another example of purpose, my dad gave me a little book for graduation in June called The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren. It's a short, little 100 paged book that tries to help answer the question that most people struggle with, "What is my purpose in life?" And it goes on to answer this with 5 spiritual answers:

You were planned for God's pleasure. 
You were formed for a family.
You were created to become Christ-like.
You were shaped for serving God.
You were made for a mission.

These are probably the most accurate answers that anyone can get. If we can try and fulfill those five points, we probably would be satisfied with our lives. If we could stop being selfish and try to make our lives about ourselves and focus on the good we could do for others and for God, we wouldn't have to try and figure out why we were here. We would feel satisfied with ourselves because of the work we were doing for God. Let's all try and aim for that kind of life, shall we?

No comments:

Post a Comment