Thursday, January 2, 2014

A Girl and her Dog

 Annie and her Sandy, Emily Elizabeth and Clifford, Dorothy and Toto, and Elle and her beloved Bruiser. It is a well known fact that girls are definitely attached to their dogs. We have our friends, family, and our dog! Because let's face it, our dog is a part of the family. They comfort us, they are our stress reliever, they cuddle with us when we are sad or sick, or just cold. They are a huge part of our life.

I have had dogs all my life, but never one that is mine. They were always Boston Terriers because that's what my mom's family had when she was growing up. Now, I like Bostons, but I wanted something that I could hold and snuggle with. Then I went through a Legally Blonde stage in the 8th grade, and because of that I now know all the words to both Legally Blonde and Legally Blonde: Red, White, and Blonde. After watching those movies over and over again, I wanted a Bruiser of my own. I begged and begged my parents to let me get another dog, but they always said "No!"

Freshmen year, I was still dreaming of my own Chihuahua. And suddenly, it seemed like everyone around me was getting a dog. And not just any dog, a Chihuahua! My neighbor got two! Then Michaela, who already had a tan Chihuahua, got a puppy. My friend, Alex, had one. Then my friend Olivia moved here and she had one! It seemed like the whole world was taunting me.

One day my freshmen year, I was walking to the Denny's parking lot because that is where we got picked up from school to avoid all the crazy after school traffic. Olivia and Michaela were there before me and so were all of our moms. They were all huddled in a circle when I got there. Then Olivia turned around holding the tiniest Chihuahua I had ever seen! "Look what I just got!" she squealed. I was furious! I didn't even bother to look at the dog. I just threw up my hands saying something along the lines of, "Really, Universe?" and stormed to my mom's car. I was still steaming when my mom opened the door holding the little white puppy and laughing. "Courtney, she's yours."

She was out!
 Well, I'm not going to deny anything… I cried. And I usually do not ever shed tears, so this was a huge deal for me! I was probably the happiest girl in the world.

Apparently, my mom and her friend were at an estate sale and there were chihuahua puppies for sale. She kept passing by and finally decided to call my dad. There was some faulty service connection during the phone call, and long story short, mom came home with a puppy that dad may or may not have agreed to.

Just thinking about it now makes me smile. It was one of the greatest days of my life. It was hard work, and still is. But it is definitely worth every chewed make-up brush, stolen lunch meat, and doggie accident. Sunny is a very special part of my life. She taught me responsibility and patience, loyalty and compassion. And she weighs less than 10 pounds!

After a performance and we were both tired.
Dogs are special family members who will always love you. I am so thankful for my little member and I know that she loves me just as much as I do.


No comments:

Post a Comment