Thursday, March 13, 2014

A Pinteresting Spring Break

Ahh. Spring break. A much needed week off from school, work, and everything else college comes with. And although I am not living the coveted life of most typical college students, I'd have to say that I had a pretty good, but unusual week.

I was really excited to head home and see friends and family this week, but I did not exactly get the welcome home party I would have liked. In fact, I was in an empty house for about two days. My parents were away for work and my brother, well he was in town, but I don't think I saw him. So to put an end to my boredom, I stalked Pinterest and got some good ideas for some crafts that I had been wanting to try out.

The first crafting mission was a incorporating a favorite quote of mine into an "artwork" (AKA a Pinterest craft). I really like a quote that I found in a book that my campus life group is reading called "Freeway: A not-so-perfect guide to freedom". In it, there are a lot of great quotes and verses that I like, but one that really stuck out to me read like this.

"You can be comfortable or courageous, but you cannot be both."

I really liked that because I feel that it goes along with my "Be Bold" theme for this semester. (BTW's, the social and spiritual aspect is going week. I can't say the same for the healthy part). So I used that quote and I also used Deuteronomy 31:6, that says something along the lines of "Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid… for the Lord, your God, is with you." (I tweaked it to fit on my canvas.)  The only things I used were a Black sharpie, two different colors of scrapbooking paper, Modgepodge to glue the paper down, and some gray paint, and over course the canvas that I bought at Walmart for my "Be Bold" craft.

 















The second piece that I did was more like a two in one deal. I took a Starbucks Frappuccino bottle and painted it with a mix of Modgepodge and a Tiffany blue. Then I sprayed it with gold glitter spray paint.
To go in the vase, I made paper flowers out of an old song book and a worn and torn book. The directions that I found were on Pinterest. Super easy, but I would recommend using the biggest page size possible. My flowers did not turn out as well as I would have hoped, but oh well.
















The last Pinterest project was probably my favorite one to do. I took a left over canvas (because the Walmart packs that I buy come in packs of two) and I taped a design onto the canvas. I then got four different colors; gray, yellow, blue, and coral, and proceeded to paint patches or splotches of each color everywhere. After those were semi-dry, I took off the tape and outlined the white design with a black sharpie. I believe it adds a lot of pop! It did take a little while, but I think it turned out the best.



So that was part of my spring break vacation. The little projects are actually for my future apartment. But I will not be moving into it until my junior year! What can I say, I like to plan far in advance! 

No comments:

Post a Comment