Saturday, March 15, 2014

Words of Affirmation

Within the last two years, I have recently discovered that one of my main "love languages" is Word of Affirmation. In one of my bible classes, the group was discussing a book about the five different love languages. When I say love, that doesn't mean it is about romantic relationships, although these languages can be applied to those as well. These love languages are used in all relationships to help keep them healthy and strong. Words of Affirmation was my number one. And at first, I didn't agree, but about a year and a half later, I can definitely concur.

I have noticed that I love being told things about about me. Now that may sound a little conceited, but I mean that in the most matter-of-fact way possible. I like to know what other people thing about me or how they see me and my actions. You can learn a lot about yourself from the way others view you. To be honest, I have a hard time telling people who I am because I don't really know who I am becoming yet. Which is why hearing an outsiders opinion is so important to me.

I have found that I love written words. I treasure handwritten letters and notes and cards that people have given me. I actually have kept most of them. I have kept my ACTS retreat encouragement letters, which were letters of support or encouragement from my fellow classmates during my sophomore year. Reading them for the first time was a little overwhelming but I absolutely loved each one. I also have tried to keep every note from my director. She would give us a card before each show that either thanked us for the journey or said something about how we have given life to our characters. It is really neat to go back and read each letter in chronological order to see how much I had improved or what I had done differently. I try and keep all of my handwritten letters; usually ones from my sweet Uncle James, my parents, or the occasional Fab Five member. Uncle James, who is actually my great uncle, is about 90 years old and he recently lost one of his sons. I am pretty sure that he is house ridden so I try and write him as much as possible. But he is the most kind and loving great uncle that anyone could ask for.

I also have discovered that I enjoy writing letters of appreciation or gratitude to others. Not just typing them, but handwritten notes or cards. If I enjoy receiving little notes of encouragement, who is to say that others don't enjoy it as much as I do? I also have discovered that I can express my thoughts and feelings better through writing. For example, praying. I feel that I cannot truly express my prayers unless if I am focused and physically writing them down. It helps me concentrate on the present moment.

Words are so important to the human race. Our language and the freedom of expression is what sets us apart from animals. But we need to be careful of how we use our precious words.

"Gracious words are like a honeycomb, sweetness to the soul 
and health to the body." Proverbs 16:24

No comments:

Post a Comment