Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Defying Gravity

Even though it has been almost 2 months since my last day at my internship, I still think about it daily. This summer, I had an amazing opportunity to intern for the Fredericksburg Theater Company. I had grown up volunteering and performing in their shows, which I had always loved, but this summer I had the chance to work the behind the scenes. I had never been a crew member before and I loved it! Sure, I miss the stage and the adrenaline waiting for the lights to come up and to give my first line, but I loved helping plan and design for the shows that we did.

So my major is business management, but after a year without any theatrical interaction I knew I had to at least add theatre as a minor, which I did. I figured I would work in a office for some theatre company as a career. I could be an executive director for a community theatre. That's what I thought I would enjoy… But I think I would be bored to death in an office job. I found out this summer that I love the hands on type of jobs, the problem solving jobs, the "do it your way if it works" kind of job. This summer, I was fortunate enough to have that kind of job. I was handed a task and told get it done, make it look good. And they would come back thinking I would be half way done, to find that I had completed my task. They were really impressed which made me feel great, obviously, who doesn't like to be told they have done well? So I re-found my passion for theatre this summer during my amazing internship.

I have looked into every job I could think of that involves theatre and it has all come back to production management. Now, honestly, I am not exactly sure what that entails, but I know that it is a hands on, overseer type of job. They are in charge of making sure everyone in the cast and mostly the crew in on task. They want to "manage the production", making sure that the show will open on time. They oversee and work with the lights and sound crew as well as set and costumes and even the director. I loved being on the production teams this summer, hearing what everyone else's jobs were and hearing about their hard work and progress. I really think that working in the theatre business will be an amazing fit for me. I wouldn't fill complete without that aspect in my life.

I have also found an amazing internship with the Disney Theatrical Group in New York that I would love to work with. I am already saving up to live in NYC for the summer of 2016. My plan is to work again this summer with FTC, (they've already asked when I will be back! :) ) and continue to save and gain more experience to put on my resume. Then apply for the summer between my junior and senior year of college. I am praying that if I am fortunate enough to get the internship, that it could turn into a full time job!!! Who wouldn't want to work with Disney!? Especially when they have confirmed a Frozen Musical!!

So that is the dream, that is how I plan to defy gravity. I figured by writing and publishing my dream, I would be pressured into following through and accomplishing it.
So wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment