I don't know about you, but I am already spending countless hours in the library in order to prepare for finals and for the end of the semester. I cannot focus in the midst of conversations and study groups and other voices around me, but I also cannot study in dead silence. I have to have some type of background noise that is not distracting. For me, that is music. Here are some of my favorite Pandora stations to study with.
1. Big Band/ The Andrew Sisters.
Well, first of all, I love the sound of the 40s swing time. It is fun and upbeat, but not distracting because most of the songs do not have lyrics or very few lyrics. So you can't really sing along, but you can definitely tap along.
Most of us grew up watching and listening to Disney movies and music from their films. These are well known songs, but most are soft sounding. There's no Dubstep-Disney, at least not that I know of, but you could probably find something like it on YouTube. Disney is a classical go to station because it's familiar and relaxing, almost as if you are back to when you were a child, curled up with some buddies and having a great time.
It is the most wonderful time of the year, after finals. Listening to Christmas music is a great reminder that there is life after school. It gives you something to look forward too. "If I can get through finals, I can go home for Christmas! And eat cookies and drink hot chocolate."
4. Electronic for Study
This is pretty self explanatory. It is similar to classical music in the less distracting area, but it brings a more modern feel while studying. There are few to no lyrics, so no distracting words but it is not completely boring.
These are just a few of the stations that I listen too. So here are some tips for studying with any type of music.
1. Try to keep the music peaceful and relaxing. So probably not death metal, but if that relaxes you, then go ahead.
2. Listen to it on a low volume level. You need to be able to hear yourself think and work out problems. Not only is it better for your hearing, but it is considerate to those around you. You don't want people three tables down to be able to understand every word to every song. Keep it down.
3. Try and avoid listening to radio stations. All of the commercials and announcements can break up your studying and be very distraction. Pandora commercials are limited, but inevitable. Just as long as there's not a break every other song, you should be good.
4. Listen to your jams before your test. It's relaxing and you will feel more calm and confident when you go into rock that exam!
Hope this helps, I know that you can rock those finals and end of the semester projects!
Happy Finals, and Merry Christmas!