Thursday, November 27, 2014

Why You Should Avoid Those "Look How Now" Articles


I was flipping through a magazine this week, when I saw an article preview with the caption “Get Hot This Weekend”. Now my immediate reaction was to flip straight to the page, but a thought stopped me.

“Am I not hot now?”
BuzzFeed

 Now as Anna Kendrick put it, “I am not beer commercial hot…” In fact I wouldn’t use the word “hot” to describe myself. I am self conscious about my features and my body. And it’s not bad that I hate my self or the way I look, but I find myself comparing my looks others. I do struggle with self image issues, but I think that most girls do at some point in their lives, which is why we all turn to those articles that tell us they can solve our self esteem issues.

But I don’t think that a magazine article can make any one “beautiful”. Because the media seems to only have one definition of beauty- skinny. Most articles are about fitness to loose weight, the right clothes to slim your waist, and makeup tips to elongate your neck line and make your face look thinner.

Beauty isn’t about weight or size, it’s about confidence and personality. And I am still learning that. We need to ditch those size -2 models and look to other real women to define beauty. Girls with personality and brains. Ladies who aren’t afraid to be who they really are.

So if magazines want to continue publishing “How To Look Beautiful” articles, they should be about finding the things that make us feel good about ourselves. They should be about how we can change the world. Not about physical appearances.


I’m not saying that we shouldn’t wear makeup or dress nice, because who doesn’t like getting dressed up? But our looks shouldn’t be what make us beautiful, our hearts are what make beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment