Thursday, December 4, 2014

John Green Novels


I've officially read all of John Green's books, at least the ones that he solely wrote. I have not read Will Grayson, Will Grayson or Let it Snow. I am not a book worm, but I do enjoy a good read every now and then. And I have to say, I really enjoyed reading John Green's books. They are easy to read but they are not naive.  They draw you in within the first chapter, every single one! So here are my thoughts/ reviews about his four novels, while trying not to spoil the endings.

The Fault in Our Stars


This was the first book I read, and I read it in one weekend! For me, that's a huge deal. The last time I read a book that fast was when I was sick and was reading all of the Captain Underpants books. If you don't know what those are, they are basically comic books within a "book". Mostly pictures. Nothing serious or intriguing. So, when I finished The Fault in Our Stars in 3 days, I was pretty impressed. 

If you've been living under a rock for the last year, The Fault in Our Stars is basically a love story between a girl with cancer and a boy who is a cancer survivor. Just, go watch the trailer for the movie.

I really, really liked the book, but I did not love it… and I didn't cry. I wanted to cry for the characters, but I just couldn't and I don't really know why. Though, it may have something to do with my friends ruining the ending. I wasn't very satisfied with the ending, I didn't find closure I guess. That's just my opinion. But I had to have liked it because I read it so fast. It is a good book, and if you need a good cry, then I highly recommend The Fault in Our Stars. 

An Abundance of Katherines


I have to say that this was probably my favorite book. At first I didn't like Colin, I thought he was just a weeny, but he grew on me. I didn't read this one as fast, but I loved the whole road trip and big adventures idea that the book had.

An Abundance of Katherines is about a boy, Colin Singleton, a child prodigy who is no longer considered a genius because he too old and growing out of his "child prodigy" age. He has only dated girls named Katherine. 19 to be exact. And all of the relations turn sour. In order to get out of the "dumped-funk" that he's been wallowing in, Colin and his best friend load up the car and just drive. You'll have to read the rest to find out what they come across, but just to intrigue you… they find themselves face to face with a wild hog. How? READ IT.

This story was all about friendship and young love. This book, to me, had the best ending. Call me naive, but I like happy endings. And I think that you'll enjoy reading about Colin's adventures in the little washed up town that he ends up in.

Paper Towns


I really like this book, and was kind of inspired to take my own crazy road trip. I liked the main character, Q. He and his group of friends were very relatable to myself and my friends. 

Paper Towns has a somewhat of a difficult story line. It is split up into three sections. The first is mainly exposition, then the second is like a really awesome plan that includes breaking into Orlando's Sea World and some of the greatest pranks of all time, and the third is like an epic easter egg hunt where someone's life depends on it. So ya, go read it.

As I said, I liked Q but I was not a fan of his love interest, Margo. She's this really mysterious girl and the who plot revolves around her and her actions, but she's missing for half the book. And then the ending… well, it ends! I'm trying really hard not to give anything away, haha. It is a good read, you just have to dive into the story as Margo and Q take on Florida.

Looking for Alaska


This book was probably my least favorite, but that doesn't mean that I didn't enjoy it. I did enjoy it. The main girl, Alaska, frustrated me with all of her emotional fits and mood swings. But of course you will find out why through her back story. For me, this was the hardest book to get into. It took a couple of chapters before I was hooked. So if you're like me, just stick with it!

Looking for Alaska basically follows the like of a guy rechristened Pudge by his new friends at his new boarding school. He decided that he was done with having no friends and nothing to enjoy during school except reading biographies and learning the last words of famous and memorable people. He leaves and is enrolled for his junior and senior year at Culver Creek Boarding School in Alabama. His life is quickly changed after meeting the girl of his dreams, Alaska, and he gets involved with her and "the Colonel's" grand schemes and prank wars.

There were sections of this story that I could really related to; goofing off with my friends, staying up late talking about life, driving around just to drive. There were parts that had me completely hooked; my hands were sweating and I was nervous and wondering what the outcomes were of their crazy ideas. And there were parts that really broke my heart. It is a great story about the power of friendship and the lengths that some friends will go to when trying to answer life's biggest questions.


All of the books a great reads. I really encourage you to at least try one. You will not regret it. If you're not a reader, that;s ok. Neither am I. Did I mention that it took me FIVE months to read four books? If I can do it, so can you!
Ok so that was a pretty long post, but I hope that you are inspired to read, whether it's a John Green novel or you are re-reading the Harry Potter series. A school break is the perfect time to relax and wind down with a great book, or a stack of books, after a busy semester.

Happy Reading and Merry Christmas!!


No comments:

Post a Comment