Saturday, January 24, 2015

Baby Steps to a Waste Free Life


I've recently become interested in a "waste free lifestyle" after reading this article about a New York City girl who has not created waste in 2 years. At first, I thought that was ridiculous, but after thinking about it and asking friends and family some questions, I reconsidered. Not only is a waste free life great for the planet, but it makes you live a lot healthier and can even save you money.


Now I'm not saying that I have completely committed to that zero wast life, considering I'm still in a dorm and don't have a kitchen to do half of the things that a waste free lifestyle requires, but I am more eco-friendly conscious. I use my reusable bags when grocery shopping and I try not to buy water bottles or any plastic bottles. Of course, I slip up every now and then, but it's a small step to using less plastic.

Basically the main idea of a zero waste life is to not use or need plastic products. So replacing plastic house hold items with glass, metal, or wood. That's why you can see mason jars galore all over Pinterest now. That also includes making a lot of your own things. Like shampoo, toothpaste, deodorant, those all come in plastic containers. It may sound tedious, but it actually can save you a lot of money in the end and it's healthier because you know all of the natural ingredients in your soaps and things. There are so many blogs, websites, and Pinterest pins out there. I've been collecting pins on my Pinterest account for the day that I'm in my own house/ apartment and can actually make my own items. Of course, I'll have roommates, but I won't be pressuring them to live waste free. But we could all go to the local market to buy some organic groceries instead of buying supermarket produce. Supporting the local farmers and using less plastic!

I would have never thought I would be one of those "eco freaks", but after some research and thought why shouldn't I try to do my part to make less waste? I mean, we've all driven by or seen a landfill and know that's its disgusting and will continue to grow if we don't do something now. I'm just taking my baby steps to help save the planet now instead of later.


22 comments:

  1. Now that I'm living in Cali I am definitely one of those "eco freaks" haha. There are tons of farmer's markets nearby on almost every day of the week (there's one right down the street from our house on Tuesdays that we love to walk to sometimes) and I totally wish they had these in Abilene! Not only is a lot of the produce organic but it's also helping out the locals, which I love. I also ride my bike places when I can (the grocery store, the library, etc.) and that's another great way to help eliminate waste!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I don't really ride my bike to the grocery store, but mostly because there's and it's like on a highway and under an over pass… not the safest idea! But yes local markets and bikes are a great thing!!

      Delete
  2. Definitely a good idea to try to reduce waste where possible! Such a good thing to move towards. This type of thing can take such a long time BUT I think it's so good to take small steps to get closer and closer to meeting the goal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it will definitely take me a long time to become "waste free", but it's always nice to try! Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  3. Great article. I'm planning to do this too:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the response! Good luck in your recycling future!

      Delete
  4. This is so great! I love that you posted about this! I had to do a project in college about water bottles and how they are being thrown away in the landfill. I bought some small water bottles for the whole class and passed them out before my speech. I then started telling them all the effects of having them in the landfill and what that does to our earth. I ended by asking them what they would do with the water bottles that they had in there hand. Throw them in the trash or the recycling bin. More than half the class threw them in the recycling bin after class!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a neat idea! I took an environmental science class my freshmen year and had to do a presentation on recycling and landfills. It was pretty interesting and kind of sparked this passion for wasting less.

      Delete
  5. I think it is a great goal and if everyone did a little it would make a big difference in the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would make a huge difference! Just think if everyone used reusable bottles instead of plastic ones! Our landfills would be so much smaller!

      Delete
  6. I'm all for it, starting with never ever using a plastic wine glass. I use linen napkins with every meal and REAL plates all the time. Great inspiration and good luck with this. (I notice that Whole Foods has plasticware. Yucky to eat with and shame on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's amazing how much paper and plastic we could save by never using disposable products.

      Delete
  7. This is such a great goal! We are slowly getting to this point in our house, my hubbys not too keen on being to eco geek but we save every glass jar/bottle we have and repurpose them into something else! When we have our own house we will be able to finally grow our own food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to live in my own house so I can have a small garden and maybe even a compost pile/bin. Those also cut down on a lot of un eaten food waste. And you can use it to fertilize the new garden!

      Delete
  8. I think we should all try to waste less. It's not that hard when you think about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Caroline, it really isn't that hard. I know it's super easy to go buy a plastic water bottle at the nearest cafe, but it's so much easier to carry around your own plastic free water bottle and fill it up at the fountain! And it saves money! :)

      Delete
  9. My husband and I have made strides in the past 7 years to rid ourselves of plastic by any means possible. We recycle and our food storage containers are all glass. We also refuse to use styrofoam since it is bad for the environment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! So do you bring your own containers when/if you go out to eat for leftovers?

      Delete
  10. My family and I started with bringing our own bags to the supermarket. Then we started carrying our own water instead of buying water . The next thing I know, we were using glass container instead of plastic. Eventually it has become a lifestyle. I find that everyday we are doing some thing to reduce the waste in the world. Every little bit helps.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's very inspirational! And awesome! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete