Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Can You Live in a Fish Bowl?

So I'm not usually one to protest things, but recently I have become infatuated with Orcas and the Save the Whales campaigns. If you have not seen the documentary Blackfish, then stop what you are doing and get on Netflix and watch it. It is about the Orcas that "work" in SeaWorld.

Source

Don't get me wrong. I loved going to the zoos and to SeaWorld. I love learning about wild animals and being able to see them up close and personal. But I was always felt bad for them when I looked at them because they look so bored and sad. I knew something wasn't right.

I believe that zoos and aquariums limit the animals' lives. Obviously, they don't have a lot of space to live and run around. The can only "explore" their 20'x20' so many times. Do you notice the worn down paths that the animals have made from pacing back and forth? They are so bored. I think zoos are a lot better than animal shows and places like SeaWorld. The animals aren't starved for training.

SeaWorld and other aquatic amusement parks use food deprivation in their training. The documentary, Blackfish, interviews retired SeaWorld Orca trainers and they talk about their training methods and the chaos the ensues behind the scenes. It's terrible to watch, but a very eye-opening film.

Source
I am writing this just to plant a little seed. To encourage you think about the animals in captivity, especially the animals in SeaWorld, who are living in little fish bowls and who are abused by their training methods and other unhappy animals that held their.

If you do nothing else, please take the 2 hours to watch Blackfish and learn a little more about Orcas and SeaWorld.


No comments:

Post a Comment