Friday, January 23, 2015

Finding Friends in College


I don't know about you, but I always grew up thinking that once you get to college, all of the people that you meet in your first semester become your really good friends. The people in your "welcome week/day" group or your orientation class are the friends that you have for life. I always heard stories of  people meeting their best friend/ fiancĂ©/ spouse in their first week of college. I just assumed that that would happen to me… Well let me tell you, it didn't. I disliked pretty much everyone in my welcome group. After spending half a week with them, I could tell that none of us had any similarities or common interests except that we were all freshmen at Abilene Christian University. It was one of the most awkward and uncomfortable classes that I had ever been in. No one talked, and the professor didn't help much either. It was just an overall poor experience.

The friends I did make my first semester and even all of my freshmen year, I could have sworn that we would be traveling the country together and sharing apartments together. I thought that those were the friends I would go on adventures with. Well, the biggest adventure may have been going out to eat with them. It's not that we did like each other, but I feel that we weren't really as committed to the relationships to get to that "adventure" level, if that makes sense? I have to be honest, I was feeling pretty bad about myself, I was thinking "if these are the deepest relationships I'm going to make, then what am I even doing here!?"

The way I see it is that most freshmen are still trying to figure out who they are. People try to reinvent themselves when moving to a new town or starting a new school. And for most people, college is a great time to give yourself a makeover. But when everyone is reinventing themselves, it is hard to find people who you get along with; whose personalities go together. 

You gain acquaintances your first semester of college, but you gain your real friends your sophomore year. At least, that's how it happened for me. So if you are in the same boat as I was my first year, don't worry, it does get better. Find out who you are first. That's when you find your true friends.


3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're making super close friends this year! I agree that Welcome Week was definitely awkward hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brit! Of course I still have you and Michaela that are really close. But basically everyone else is still at the acquaintance level. This is so much better!!

      Delete
  2. Ahhhh I was like this my first year too, and am still trying to branch out. Good to know I wasn't alone though

    http://blondegirlbrowndog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete