Saturday, February 7, 2015

DIY Magazine Craft

 I work in the library on campus- it’s glamorous, I know- in the acquisitions and cataloging department. So basically we order new books and when they come in, we catalog them and put them into the system. We also work with damaged books where we either send them off to be fixed or we discard them. We also work with periodicals, which can be a fancy name for magazines. Some periodicals are really nice (National Geographic) and after their cycle is done on the current periodical shelf, we collect a year’s worth of issues and send them off to be bound and then put them on the regular shelves. But others, like People, are published every week and aren’t necessarily worth the money to bound, so we discard them. Or you know, recycle them.


But I really hate to see all those magazines go to waste, so I decided to take a few home. And after Pinteresting and Google-ing , I’ve come up with this super easy, but very cute craft!

So as I've mentioned before, I love orcas, and I thought this silhouette would be a fun craft to hang up by my bed!

What you need:

Magazine
Scissors
Tape
Card stock 
Paper

Step 1:


I googled orca silhouettes and free handed the outline on a white piece of paper. Then I taped that piece to a piece of card stock and cut it out. And since the orca has the signature white belly and eye patch, I also cut out card stock outlines of those too.


Step 2:


I ripped out colored ads from the magazine and cut them into small strips and taped two inch sections together. (The colored ads are for the black parts of the orca and then I used white text pages for their white spots.) I also cut the two inch wide sections in half to double the width because the orca silhouette is not very tall. 

Step 3:

After you have the width of magazine strips you need, tape the back of the magazine strips to your card stock outline. Then cut around the outline. After you've finished, you can either pull the outline off or use it as support. If you have multiple outlines (for example, the white parts of the orca) then repeat step three for those and arrange them accordingly. 

Step 4:


Find a canvas or background for your new animal silhouette and glue/tape it on. 

And your done!! See how simple?
Enjoy!



12 comments:

  1. HOLY COW THIS IS CUTE. I'm probably going to do this with a cat silhouette :D Definitely pinning this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, thanks! It didn't even take that long. Let me know how that cat silhouette turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great way to use something that's likely to be thrown out! These could be used for so many different silhouettes. Fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, especially anything black and white because then you can utilize the colored ads and the text pages!

      Delete
  4. There are so many pretty magazines out there that it's a shame seeing them tossed. I love your eye and sense of how things go together. I tried doing something similar with favorite magazine photos and just made a big ol mess. Now I've gone and mutilated my pretty persimmon photo and drawing of Isabella Rosellini. :( haha Oh well. With your simple design as inspiration, maybe I should try again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It took me a while to plan out what I needed to do, but it all worked out in the end. I would definitely encourage you to try again! Good luck!

      Delete
  5. Something cute that I could do with my daughter on a rainy day! Thanks for being creative AND resourceful! Always good to reuse anything we can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love being resourceful! It makes me feel like I'm "saving the world"! Have a blast working on this with your daughter!

      Delete
  6. Such a cute idea for a kids room! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These would be perfect for a child's room! Maybe even outlines for letters that spell their names? And put them in cute frames to hang on the wall! Good luck!

      Delete
  7. You did an amazing job! I seriously love this so much! Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks so much! Hope yours turns out even better!!

      Delete