Sunday, February 8, 2015

Working with Actors: A Little Update On This Semester


As I exctitedly mentioned before, I am now a Theatre Major at Abilene Christian University. Currently, I am working on ACU's production of The Marvelous Wonderettes. It's a really fun show about four girls who are singing at their 1958 Super Senior Prom! A jukebox musical that continuously has me laughing and singing along every night. I worked on set during the day, and now that the show has opened, I am a spotlight operator. Even though I really love being backstage with the actors, I really love being up in the catwalk spotting. I can watch the show every night! And since I am up high with the sound system, I really can sing along as loud as I want and no one can hear me. Except maybe a fellow spot op. But we are all singing along, so it's all good.


The only thing bad about winter musicals is the sickness that comes with winter and cold! Thank goodness for Tamiflu! Two days before my first tech call, I woke up feeling great! Then lunch came, along with a sore throat. Plus, I had a voice lesson, so that was not good! I began sucking down teas and honey with no luck. By the end of the evening, my back and head ached! I could NOT get sick. I had mentioned feeling bad to my mom and I eventually called her to find out that I probably had the flu. But she had a dose of Tamiflu and would drive up to Abilene to deliver it. Isn't she the best!?

Actors and performers obviously cannot get sick, especially musical performers. Their voice is their work and you can't sing or speak with the flu. But people who work with actors and performers also can't get sick because they may spread their germs to the actors. That's why I was so paranoid.

I've been drinking tea every day, taking vitamin C and other multi-vitamins every day. I wash my hands every chance I get. I'm drinking like 2 bottles of water everyday. And when it's really cold and windy, I wear a scarf around my face so as to not breathe in the cold air, mostly because it messes with the lungs and even vocal chords. I've also been reading a lot of articles by PlayBill and other theatrical blogs about actors and their tips on staying healthy. Yes, it's extreme but I'd rather look like a fool than feel like I'm dead.

So that's just a little update and some tips. Stay warm and healthy my friends!


2 comments:

  1. Aww I'm sorry you got sick!!! :( I guess that explains why you wanted tea suggestions haha. That sounds like such a fun musical and I'm jelly that you get to watch it so many times! I hope you're feeling better and I hope you STAY well!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and the tea helped for a little bit, but it was no match for the flu! And this is one of those shows that I don't think I'll get tired of. There's something new every night, which makes all of our jobs more fun! Hope all is well with you! Thanks.

      Delete