Saturday, March 14, 2015

Come On, Disney


Congrats Disney, Cinderella just opened and I must say it was very good. It exceeded my expectations. The score, set, and casting was great. I absolutely loved the step sisters. Cinderella's dress was beautiful, and every one of Lady Tremaine's costumes amazed me. I know the story was all about being kind to others, even when they are not deserving of it. And that the ending was to leave us feeling all warm and fuzzy because Cinderella finally got her happy ending. But that wasn't the thought that was in my head as I left the theater.


I was still in shock, or at least stunned, at The Dress. No--not the dress, but Cinderella's waist in that dress. It was so tiny, and almost unsettling. I was sure that it had to have been edited or touched up at least. And maybe it was, my research has not been extensive. But, according to BuzzFeed, it was Lily James' waist, but only after liquid diets and a very constricting corset. That's just unhealthy and almost offensive. Why did James have to go through all of that just to fit into a dress?

Walt Disney Studios/ BuzzFeed/ Loryn Brantz

Disney! It's 2015 and we are still trying to influence the "perfect body" on young and impressionable girls? Now, I am super excited for the new Latina Princess, Elena, and for the first Polynesian Princess, Moana. You are doing great at adding more diverse princesses, but why must they all have "perfect figures"? I thought we were getting somewhere with Merida, but then Anna and Elsa came along and they were both impossibly "perfect".

Where is the first full figured princess? Or the athletic type princess? Why must they all have tiny waists? Where are the pear shaped princesses? Or tall, lanky princesses? A princess with a straight figure?

If you want the princesses to be more relatable, you should probably mix up the body shapes along with your ethnicities.

Recently, a fellow blogger was featured on Hello Giggles that makes an interesting point. Why do all of your female characters look similar? Are you still attached to a "perfect woman" and continuing modeling your characters after her? Please do not add to the already distorted belief of what the media defines as "beauty". Have some diversity among your female facial features too!

every-flavored-bean.tumblr.com

Disney, you know I love you, but you really need to step up your game. Every woman is beautiful in their own unique way. Embrace that!


19 comments:

  1. I heard about the corset, which I can understand because that was popular in that era. Liquid diets though? No, that's not healthy at all.

    Merida was a good step toward athletic princesses, but she's also Pixar so she doesn't completely count.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am all for period costumes, but let's be honest, Lady Tremaine's were definitely modernized. The least they could do for Cinderella was let her breath a little.

      And Merida is a unique princess… she also doesn't get a love interest. What message does that send? Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. Yes, she is definitely skinny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your post. It's so interesting that a lot of the feedbackI have heard on this movie is about Cinderella's dress and her waistline. I hope Disney is listening because it certainly sends a message that women, as the discerning ones who choose what movies their young children watches, are keen on the realistic role models that movies of today portray.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading. I really hope that some day they will cast "normal sized" actresses to play princesses instead of super skinny ones. Or at least not mess with their diets.

      Delete
  4. Absolutely love all Disney movies. We will be going to Disney World later this year!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH MY GOSH. I hadn't seen the movie yet-- only heard rave reviews. But, wow. That waist is almost hard to look at. This is terribly wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The movie is fantastic! But the waist thing just bothered me so much I had to write about it. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  6. Wayyyyy too skinny and unnatural looking! This makes me sad for if I ever have a daughter, I would want her to be proud of her body!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way. Thanks for reading

      Delete
  7. I do agree that this isn't a good message to be sending to girls....but I guess the other side of me says...was anyone at Disney really trying to send that message? I doubt it...that was the style of that time period. Women DID wear corsets... As a parent to 3 girls I talk to them about these things and don't expect the entertainment industry to teach my children what they need to know or how they need to look. I do appreciate what you are saying though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Disney probably wasn't meaning to send that message, and it was the style of the time period, but not every costume was period. Lady Tremaine's costumes? They were definitely modernized. I agree with you when saying it's not the entertainment industry's job to teach girls how to feel about their bodies, but it does have a tremendous effect over time. Thanks for your honesty and for reading!

      Delete
  8. As the mom of 3 daughters I have concerns with body image. However, I must say, it seems the biggest influences on my daughters come from ME and the women they spend time with more than a movie they may see once or twice. Granted, I'm fairly strict about their media consumption and I'm not saying culture has NO influence, I've noticed in every arena, my everyday living transcends what happens in outside our home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that important insight. I definitely agree that people are influenced by the people they spend time with. Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  9. I thought the movie was good. Not excellent or great... but it was good. (That dance scene? LOVED it!)

    I'm totally all for more diversity in the way Disney princesses / heroines look, but I also think it's unfortunate how many people are saying that Lily James's waist is awful or wrong... Sure, there was a corset involved, but it's still her natural waist. We certainly shouldn't be taught that we all need to look like her, but on the other hand... every body is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. Thanks for that comment. I hope I didn't come across as saying that Lily James having that small of a waist is wrong and no one should look like that. I was trying to say that it is wrong to make someone go to extreme measures to fit in a dress for one or two scenes, like a liquid diet and the corset that restricts breathing. Everyone is beautiful. Thanks for your insight and thanks for reading.

      Delete
  10. It is definitely eye-opening to realize how similar all of Disney's characters are! Unfortunately though, I feel like the change has to come from all of us. Disney is (sadly) just giving us all what we "want." Same dilemma with magazines and such. I love Disney, I hope they figure this out!! Especially the facial features - I never really thought about that until I saw your image!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do agree that we cannot expect the media to change without fighting for it to change. And I was watching Big Hero 6 and I told my friend that "Go Go" was basically emo Elsa. They are identical! Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete