Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Cleaning out the Closet


1 pair of actual boots
1 pair of riding boots
1 pair of ankle boots
3 pairs of flip-flops
3 pairs of flats
1 pair of Sperrys
3 pairs of Keds
2 pair of jazz shoes
1 pair of character shoes
1 pair of taps
2 pairs of heels
2 pairs of tennis shoes
1 pair of sandals

22 pairs of shoes that are here in my dorm. That doesn’t include the shoes that I left at home because I don’t wear them.

Why do I need 22 pairs of shoes? Why do we need multiple pairs of anything?

Questions like these have come up while reading the book, Fight Club. I am only half way through but it is a very profound novel. I began to ask myself why I needed so much “junk”, so many possessions, after the protagonist of the book claimed that he only had 6 white shirts, 2 pairs of black pants, and 3 ties. That’s all he owned. I understand there are different shoes for different occasions, but why do I have 3 pairs of the exact same shoe in different colors? Yes, I do wear those the most, but I still think 22+ pairs of shoes is way too much.

Shoes. Clothes. Furniture. Technology. All of it is cluttering our lives. All of this clutter is distracting us from actually living.

We can become so caught up in our possessions, that we forget what is really important. Instead of spending time trying to update your phone, use that time to call your grandma, or another loved one. Instead of shopping to fill your closets with more clothes, spend that time volunteering with those who don’t have anything in their closet.

I’m guilty of wasting time doing useless and selfish things and I have to ask, what good does wasting three hours on Netflix do? Nothing except help me procrastinate.  Why not spend my time visiting with friends in the library, catching up with those we may have missed during the school year?

I have been trying to shift my focus from possessions to relationships. And maybe we all should?

“What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.” -Albert Pine


5 comments:

  1. So true! It's easy to get so caught up in having stuff. Right now I'm pregnant, and I've tried to buy only the necessities in maternity clothes - no point in spending a ton of money on items I'm only going to wear for a few months. But it's been interesting to see how easy it is to get buy with only a few outfits, and it's been fun to mix and match things. It's actually easier to get dressed for work because I have fewer options! Maybe I'll try that out when I'm back into my regular clothes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! I have been slowly weeding out clothes that I don't wear often and donating them. At first, I was self conscious that others may judge me for wearing the same clothes so often. But then I realized, no one cares! And you are right, it is so much easier to decide from few options than many. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. I plan on cleaning out my closets soon. Just looking at it gives me anxiety. Many of the things I have gave me comfort in the moment I purchased it but now just takes up space in my closet. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! I totally understand about the anxiety. Right now I am packing up to move back home for the summer and I'm trying to fit all of these clothes in boxes, some still with tags on them, and it just makes me wonder why I feel I had to buy all of these clothes when I don't even wear them.

      Delete
  3. I love doing spring cleaning and getting rid of all the "stuff"!

    ReplyDelete